« السابقةمتابعة »
5. From a wrong connexion of ideas.
6. This connexion how made.
7, 8. Some antipathies an effect of it.
OF WORDS OR LANGUAGE IN GENERAL.
1. Words are sensible signs necessary for communication.
8. Their signification perfectly arbitrary.
6-8. How general words are made.
9. General natures are nothing but abstract ideas.
10. Why the genus is ordinarily made use of in definitions.
18. Real and nominal essence the same in simple ideas and
19. Essences ingenerable and incorruptible.
10, 11. In mixed modes, it is the name that ties the combination
12. For the originals of mixed modes, we look no farther than
13. Their being made by the understanding without patterns,
14. Names of mixed modes stand always for their real essences.
1. Particles connect parts, or whole sentences together.
2. In them consists the art of well speaking.
1. Abstract terms not predicable one of another, and why.
10. Hence unavoidable obscurity in ancient authors.