« السابقةمتابعة »
1. Something unreasonable in most men.
5. From a wrong connexion of ideas.
6. This connexion how made.
3, 4. To make general signs.
5. Words ultimately derived from such as signify sensible ideas.
OF THE SIGNIFICATION OF WORDS.
1. Words are sensible signs necessary for communication.
5. Secondly, to the reality of things.
1. The greatest part of words general.
2. For every particular thing to have a name, is impossible.
6–8. How general words are made.
9. General natures are nothing but abstract ideas.
their foundation in the similitude of things.
18. Real and nominal essence the same in simple ideas and
modes, different in substances.
9. This shows species to be made for cominunication.
10, 11. In mixed modes, it is the name that ties the combination
together, and makes it a species.
the mind, which also shows them to be the workmanship
of the understanding.
shows the reason why they are so compounded.
1. Particles connect parts, or whole sentences together.
2. In them consists the art of well speaking.
6. This matter but lightly touched here.
1. Abstract terms not predicable one of another, and why.
10. Hence unavoidable obscurity in ancient authors.